Get Cool with Ruby on Rails Bootcamp, July 30 - August 3, 2007.
Big Nerd Ranch, Inc., leading provider of intensive training classes for programmers and system administrators, announced the return of Ruby on Rails training (http://bignerdranch.com/classes/ruby.shtml), scheduled for July 30 through August 3, 2007. Since its debut, Ruby on Rails has created a sensation among web application developers, project managers and web designers across a spectrum of industries for its robust, powerful, and easy-to-deploy framework. Big Nerd Ranch's Ruby on Rails training class brings this exciting tool for creating dynamic database-driven web applications to the public in five days of intensive instruction by a full-time Ruby on Rails developer and experienced instructor, Charles Brian Quinn.
Charles Brian Quinn, one of the founders of Slingshot Hosting for Ruby on Rails business hosting, is a partner at Highgroove Studios and a freelance Ruby on Rails consultant. He boasts an extensive career in the development and deployment of database-driven applications for a variety of Fortune 500 companies and governmental agencies, including Deloitte & Touche, Mutual of Omaha and the State of Tennessee. It is this depth of knowledge that allows for the most comprehensive and customizable Ruby on Rails training available and the best learning experience for the student.
In a recent review of Charles's February 2006 class, student Steven Harms commented, "For five days, people like you, focused on learning, learn, work and talk together. It's kinda special. Sorta like camp, but instead of popsicle stick birdhouses you build powerful computer applications. If, in five days, we could do something like this, in 90 days what sort of application could we build?"
At the end of those five days, the student will:
- Understand the major components that make up Ruby on Rails (ActiveRecord, ActionPack, ActionMailer, and ActiveSupport)
- Understand the Model View Controller (MVC) pattern, how Ruby on Rails conventions encourage efficient design, and apply Ruby on Rails best practices
- Install, setup, design, develop and deploy new Ruby on Rails applications, as well as update, manage, and maintain existing ones
- Build, parse and manipulate XML documents by generating RSS feeds, and creating and consuming Web Services
- Avoid security pitfalls and deployment problms, debug applicatins using breakpoints, logging and prototyping
- Make rich and dynamic interfaces using Ruby on Rails's extensive, easy to use AJAX libraries
- Deploy and maintain Ruby on Rails applications using Capistrano and a trusted Rails deployment stack
Most notably, the topics reviewed in the class are given real-world context drawn from Charles's own experience as a Ruby on Rails developer. Many of the big breakthroughs in mastering Ruby on Rails come in the after-class "brain dumps" and the individual assistance the instructor provides in helping the student architect his next big application. Translating the lessons into practical challenges the student is facing contextualizes the learning and minimizes the learning curve. It is this level of instruction and depth of knowledge that makes the Big Nerd Ranch Ruby on Rails training class the best in the industry.
The Big Nerd Ranch incorporates intensive training classes for Unix and Mac OS X programmers and system administrators in a retreat setting outside Atlanta, GA. Class price of $3500 includes lodging, all meals, original instruction materials, 24-hour lab access, and ground transportation to and from the Atlanta airport. Students are encouraged to bring independent projects to class, allowing for input from classmates and individual instructor attention. For more information, call 678-595-6773 or visit http://bignerdranch.com/